Welcome to my New Home!

I have moved back to my birthplace - a town of about 1800 in rural New Brunswick, Canada.

I have been gone for 20 years working in various cities, but not a lot has changed around here. People still leave their keys in their cars and their front doors unlocked...people still walk into your house without knocking and help themselves to a cup of coffee....and neighbors are both nosey AND some of the most helpful and wholesome folks you will ever find!

I am not sure if I will fit in here. I am used to "breakfast, lunch and dinner", not "breakfast, dinner and supper" which leads to all kinds of confusion when my friends show up at noon for a meal I was making at 6pm. I am also used to wearing $100 Lululemon yoga pants not $15 WalMart specials. (Not that there is anything wrong with WalMart!).

I have a convertible, which is completely inappropriate for a town that has snow 6 months of the year. I loved it when the old-timers would say, half-smiling, "So, you gonna be driving that car this winter?" like I might have just fell off the turnip truck the night before. I'd make my big blue eyes as big as I could as I would sweetly reply "Do you think I could....?"

Well, I WILL adjust, I WILL! One way or another, I want to be part of this town. I want to "be the me I was when I was child", not the one I created while living in the city.

So, let me share my experiences with you, as I adjust to this new, but old, environment.


Thursday, November 24, 2011

11 Things I am Thankful For

I know I do not live in the USA, but I live CLOSE to the USA, so in honor of Thanksgiving, I have written about what I am thankful for. I have not included the ho-hum things I am thankful for, like friends, family and my health. That is a given that I am thankful for those things!

Top 11 Things I am Thankful For (in no particular order)

1. QTips - I hate wet ears!
2. My feet are size 7 instead of children's size 2 like my sister Pam's
3. That there are 2 people in the world who want to see me every day. At least until they get sick of me and begin praying I get kidnapped by aliens
4. That I am not a turkey in the USA today
5. That someone invented bandaids. I Love bandaids. I don\t even need the name brand ones. Generic, no-name, ones with little cowboys on them. Love them all.
6. That on Wednesdays you can get homemade corn chowder and a roll for $4 at Lewis's Pharmacy up the street
7. That I have a voice and I (mostly) use it appropriately
8. That I am not (too) judgemental
9. That I don't see ghosts like several other people I know!
10. Nobody has written a letter and put me on the show "Canada's Worst Driver" or "What Not to Wear" or "Jerry Springer".
11. That I have never gotten sprayed by a skunk, bitten by poisonness snake, or crawled on by a tarantula. That might seem like 3 things to be thankful for, but I suppose I can roll them under 1 category called "That I have not been attacked by wild animals"


Now tell me something you are thankful for. Pretty, please?

5 comments:

  1. I am thankful that it doesn't snow here the entire 12 months of the year.
    I'm thankful for the foods of other cultures...life would be so bland without things like butter chicken, tzatziki sauce, General Tso's chicken, although not all in the same meal.
    I'm thankful for tweezers...I HATE splinters!
    Is that enough for now??? lol
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theresa - I agree with everything on your list!!! Thanks for sharing.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thankful that I know you Donna. (kevin)

    ReplyDelete
  4. On 11/24/11, Nancy Pennington wrote:
    > Although I am not a U. S. citizen, I am thankful that we can travel by air
    > and get home often, unlike my father's cousins who went to California in the
    > early 30's and never got back to N. B. I am also thankful for the little
    > things that my son has accomplished. Today , he helped me make a sugar free
    > pumpkin pie and had fun doing it. Not so much fun helping make meatloaf. He
    > had fun helping wrap Christmas gifts for his friends and he also had the
    > choice of macaroni or potatoes for lunch with his meatloaf. Of course, he
    > chose macaroni and cheese. He enjoyed having shredded wheat for a snack
    > which is his very favourite cereal. For all who don't know, my son has developmental disabilities , including autism, deaf, mute, mentally retarded and is legally blind

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Kevin! I am thankful I know you, too!

    Good list, Nancy....very thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete